Nostalgia
I went for a walk in the park today during lunch. I could smell fresh mountain air. I could smell the dirt from the flower beds. From some car that drove by I could smell musty canvas and paint. There were kids running all over the place laughing and teasing each other. I could hear the breeze in the trees. Nostalgia washed over me. Maybe because Lynette and Brett are headed there this weekend or maybe because all those things remind me of it, but I was transported back to my years working at camp. There are so many memories there, so many growing experiences, so much that I gained.
It may seem strange to some, in fact, strange to many that I loved scout camp so much. Perhaps they don't understand and that's ok. For me it was an opportunity. Going there enabled me to break through some of my walls and barriers. I was able to let go and become more of the person I am. It was a life changing experience.
I think everyone has experiences during their lives that they look back on and know that moment changed them forever, for good or for bad. Camp is one of those "moments" (albeit a long moment) in my life. I think there are many reasons I'm transported there again and again during quiet moments when the breeze blows just so or when eating hashbrowns or even from the smell of bleach wafting through the air. For a instant I'm taken back to a place I once called home.
I think everyone has experiences during their lives that they look back on and know that moment changed them forever, for good or for bad. Camp is one of those "moments" (albeit a long moment) in my life. I think there are many reasons I'm transported there again and again during quiet moments when the breeze blows just so or when eating hashbrowns or even from the smell of bleach wafting through the air. For a instant I'm taken back to a place I once called home.
1 comment:
I feel the same way at times. Though probably not as much as you, but it was home for a time.
Post a Comment