Semi-Disasterous Cooking Continued
Do any of you ever have days where the whole concept of cooking seems to be against you? Last night was one of those days for me. I was trying to put together a casserole for dinner.
-I forgot to pull the chicken out of the freezer before going to work, so I had to thaw it.
-It wasn't the kind of chicken I had meant to get. It had bones and skin- gross.
-The resealable bag ripped open when I was trying to get it unzipped, so I had to rebag the rest of the chicken.
-The chicken took twice as long to cook as it was supposed to because the burner it was on was malfunctioning (didn't figure that out until later).
-I forgot to start the rice until the chicken was already done adding another 20 minutes before dinner was ready.
-The chicken had to be skinned and cut off the bone. Pout. I have a really hard time taking skin off of chicken. Another reason I love Ryan- he took care of this part.
Once all of that was accomplised, I mixed everything up and put what was left of the Stove Top on top the casserole. I managed to open the stuffing bag in a less-than-ideal manner such that it flew out of the bag in every direction. The floor and stove and counter and I were coated with dry bread crumbs.
I assumed the moisture from the rest of the ingredients would soak into the stuffing, so I didn't mix it up.
We had VERY dry, nearly burnt, bread crumbs on top the casserole when I pulled it out of the oven. It tasted ok, but had a powerful punch from all the spices from the stuffing and it was a little . . .
CRUNCHY.
Ryan took it like a pro and just ate it (3 helpings!) and said it was great, a little dry perhaps, but tasted fine.
I swept the kitchen floor to clean up the stuffing mess and forgot about it half way through. I had a nice little pile in the middle of the floor with the dust pan next to it, but I never swept it up. Ryan saw it later and finished the job. I tell you half my brain has gone missing.
Well, I was feeling ambitious so I was making dessert at the same time as dinner. I was making raspberry cake. The first half of the recipe turned out great. I can cook a cake from a box!
For the topping I had to heat a sauce and wait for it to thicken on the stove. It was supposed to take maybe 10 minutes tops. I was still stirring it 30 minutes later and it wasn't even boiling yet! Ryan ended up stirring that because by this point my body was screaming at me to sit down. We then discovered that the burner was the culprit. It wasn't lighting properly and so it didn't heat properly. Ryan switched burners and ta-da! It worked. We let the sauce cool until after family home evening.
The last part was to mix raspberries and whipping cream in with the sauce. Whipping cream isn't supposed to take over half an hour to thicken. Funny enough, it never did thicken.
However, it did turn into butter!?
As a result, the topping doesn't have whipping cream included. At least the end product still tastes yummy despite the many mishaps.
Here's to laughing at the memories. :)
3 comments:
So funny to read! If you didn't know if by now Deanna, you are pregnant. : ) I'm so glad you have such a wonderful husband to be there for you!
The cookin only gets better.
Hilarious!! You should take up writing--I have food mis-haps all the time, but I can't talk about them with such awesomeness! Let's get together and do something soon--what are you guys doing Thursday night? It's pizza and movie night at our house--wanna join us! (And the movie is early!)
Don't you know you loose brain cells when you are pregnant? I promise I get dumber and more absent minded with every kid I have. It all makes good memories though!
Post a Comment