I was told time and again that infants and babies nap. Well, my little guy is different. From the day he came home from the hospital he hasn't napped. He'd be awake for 7 and 8 hour stretches, take a 30 minute nap (in my arms) and be awake again until he went to bed. There were a few 10 minute cat naps in there, but those hardly count as naps.
We've progressed a little. I could get him to sleep in my arms and he would sleep for an hour or two, but only if I held him. If I put him down on the floor or in the bassinet he was awake within 10 minutes. I tried putting him in his car seat to nap- I got 15 to 20 minute stretches. I've been reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and gotten a few ideas from there. I now try to get Andrew to nap after he's been awake for no more than an hour and a half. He takes about 5 naps a day that are between 20 minutes and an hour. Still, I can't imagine he's falling into a deep sleep or getting enough restorative sleep from those brief naps.
He nearly refuses to sleep if I put him in his crib drowsy but awake. He's done it twice. I haven't let him cry longer than half an hour yet. Do I need to have a tougher skin? This is the child that cried for 12 straight hours after he was born, only stopping when sedated. Do you think he'd give in?
My point is, I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm failing him because he's not getting enough sleep, but I don't know how to get him to sleep.
Oh, and he went from two good 4 hours stretches at night to one 4-6 hour stretch and then he wakes every hour from that point on.
Any ideas? I can use all the help I can get.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh wow! Sounds like you've done everything in the book!! Everything I've ever heard/read said to let them cry for 15 minutes so you're definitely trying to let him cry himself to sleep! Which would be my advice...
Is he happy when he's awake? If so I'd just let him be him, if there's one thing I learned each baby is different & KNOWS what they want even at a young age. ie Lily NEVER fell asleep in my arms she would fuss & cry until I laid her down & then she'd instantly crash. Very jealous of all the mom's in relief society with sleeping babies in their arms :)
Sorry to ramble by the way!!
My youngest, Jon, did the same thing. He would take one nap in the day, maybe 1 hour long. As he got older (by about 6 months) this nap extended to maybe 2 hours. He then went to bed at night about 10:00 and slept for 4 to 5 hours. We each took turns with the night so that not just one person was sleep deprived. We finally put a tv in his room and taught the 6 month old how to use the controls. He would wake up and watch cartoons until someone else was finally awake. Sanity is worth a lot!!! p.s. I had another child that slept for 8 hours the first night home from the hospital and took 3 naps a day, go figure.
As you know, Maylee is also a terrible napper. About two months ago she started waking every 90 minutes to 2 hours and would scream unconsolably unless I nursed her. I felt so dejected every time I nursed her to sleep because I was sure I was perpetuating the problem.
After two months I decided it wasnt me, it wasn't gas, it wasn't an ear infection and it wasn't that she was addicted and just "used" to breastfeeding all the time. I took her in to the doctor and just yesterday he diagnosed her with reflux. I am really surprised because Maylee never spits up and I thought that was one of the main signs. Anyway-- we started her on her prescription last night and, although last night was not better, she took a two hour nap today!! In her crib, without waking once. I'll let you know if she gets any better... but have you had Andrew checked for reflux? My doctor said the telltale signs were wanting to nurse frequently, not sleeping well, irritated throat, inflamed inner nose, slight congestion, and watery bowel movements.
Anyway, I had decided Maylee just wasn't a sleeper and I'm honestly still really surprised that there was a medical reason behind all of this. She isnt an unusually fussy baby (during the day) either. I was just so exhausted from almost 5 months of no sleep that I couldn't do it anymore. I'm really glad I took her in.
Good luck Deanna! Let us know if it gets any better.
Oh dear! That's so hard when the baby won't nap. I really hope things get better. The tips from "Healthy Sleep Habits" were what saved me, but I also cheated and did the really horrible mom thing and let Ginny nap, supervised, on her belly. I felt really guilty every time I did it, but she would nap 2 hours on her belly, versus 20-30 minutes on her back. I was a little desperate! (On the other hand, she always slept on her back at night and we didn't have too many wakings then, so who knows?)
There were a few times in a row I had to let Ginny cry it out for almost an hour at night, which was torture, but I didn't start that until she was 13 weeks old since the book recommended waiting until sometime between 12 and 16 weeks. After we did it, though, her night sleep improved dramatically!
When my niece had difficulty, her mom started supplementing with formula, and that helped her. Anyway, I really hope things improve soon and that you can get some sleep yourself!
And no matter what, you are not failing that little guy! Every baby is different, and he is going to be fine, and this really will pass. Just keep reminding yourself that you are a GREAT mom who is doing her very best for him!!!
My son,Gannon, only took 1/2 hour naps when he was little, he would only go to bed if he had fallen asleep in our arms, and he would cry for hours if put to bed remotely awake. We tried making him go to bed by himself off and on the whole first year. We just decided that he is one kid that doesn't need long naps and that he would go to bed on his own when he was ready.
Not all kids are the same, the books can only explain about so much. Don't feel discouraged. It will get better with time.
I wish I could tell you that at 2+ years Gannon is going to bed with no problem, but that isn't the case. He is doing better though.
Your little man should start taking longer naps as he gets older though.
Don't worry, it does get better! Don't be afraid to let him cry, but if it isn't working after a few days, its ok to wait awhile and try again at a later date too.
It is funny our boys are so similar in this way and they were born on the same day.
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear. But it sounds like you are doing everything you can! I sure hope he starts sleeping more! And that you aren't completly exhausted! Love you guys.
I know everybody says "back to sleep" but sometimes there are children that will only sleep for longer then 5 minutes on there tummys. Ammon was one of those, still is I rarely see him in any other position then on his tummy.It might help for those naps at least. Oh and if he is over 3 months and starts waking up in the night it is most likely because he is getting hungry more often. you could try giving him some rice cereal about an hour before bed and then a bottle just before. That always helped my kids sleep longer during the night.
Post a Comment